PRODUCER, SPORT PRESENTATION FOR BIRMINGHAM 2022 COMMONWEALTH GAMES (B2022)
The candidate will ideally be based in the West Midlands or willing to relocate for the duration of the project; however we will consider London-based applicants.Back to all positions
B2022’s Sport Presentation will reimagine what it is to compete at a live sporting event and set new technical and creative benchmarks for future Games to come.Progress Productions has been contracted as the embedded Functional Area for Sport Presentation and Medal Ceremonies by the Organising Committee for Birmingham 2022 –led by Ceremonies, Culture and Queen’s Baton Relay division (CCQ). As such, Progress are responsible for the development, planning and delivery of a creative Sport Presentation programme, which will be held in venues all across Birmingham and the West Midlands, from 28 July until 8 August 2022.This includes all creative content, theatrical lighting and special effects, spectator engagement, entertainment and music production as well as VT and graphics production.
As a cohesive team, and at each competition venue, Sport Presentation is responsible for:
- Delivering key sport-specific protocol;•Communicating results, timing and scoring in a flawless and effective manner.•Improving the athlete experience.
- Delivering a high-quality Sport Presentation programme which not only energises the crowd but creates an unforgettable atmosphere that inspires the athletes to perform at their best and elevates the experience of the Games,
- Delivering world-class medal ceremonies,•Creating an inclusive programme of Sport Presentation that educates, inspires and entertains the crowd in order to grow the profile of individual sports and their supporter base,
- Showcasing Birmingham and the West Midlands, in particular young people,
- Creating new opportunities in the Sport Presentation industry, by connecting emerging talent to the Games in a direct way through technical and creative roles.
Sport Presentation is fundamental to the delivery of a successful Games. It acts to energise, educate, entertain, and inspire the in-venue audience at each Games competition venue; at the same time contributing to the creation of an event environment that facilitates the performance of each athlete. Combined, Sport Presentation delivers a positive Games experience for all constituents in each competition venue.
The Producer is a key role within Sport Presentation, working with the Lead Producer and Head of Sport Presentation to deliver a seamless programme at every event.
The Producer will act as the most senior Sport Presentation representative at their allocated venue(s), taking the creative/production briefs from the Lead Producer and implementing them at each event.
The Producer will be responsible for all aspects of activities happening on the field of play before and after sporting events and during scheduled breaks.
They will be working with Sport Competition Managers, creating daily running orders and detailed schedules.
During pre-production, the Producer will be responsible for scripting, establishing running orders and schedules, and will work closely with Sports Competition Managers.
During rehearsal periods, the Producer will generate and manage a daily schedule in order to facilitate access to the field of play for relevant B2022 departments ensuring that all rehearsal requirements are met.
During Games-time, the Producer will take the role of show caller – cueing all elements and taking responsibility for scripting and cueing of commentary and announcements during the sporting event and Medal Ceremonies.
Liaising closely with B2022 Broadcast, the Producer will manage accurate running orders and timings of all activities in relation to live broadcasts.
They must be able to manage a large team and have excellent communication skills. They must consistently work with the Lead Producer in building a strong team, listening to the venue team members and helping lead them to success.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The Producer will be responsible for:
- Acting as the key Sport Presentation decision maker at the venue
- Understanding and delivering the creative vision for Sport Presentation at the venue
- Directing of all activities on field of play
- Managing the Sport Presentation team at the venue including editorial, production and technical staff (circa 15-20)
- Managing Presenters and Commentators/Announcers and delivering creative treatment of all field reporting and live commentary
- Producing and managing timings for all activities and communicating with B2022 Broadcast team to ensure the schedule is communicated to all appropriate parties
- Generating scripts, running orders and schedules for each competition session and rehearsal period
- Liaising with Technical Manager for the install of all technical elements
- Reviewing and familiarising themselves with all sports and venue specific graphics and VTs
- Responsible for all Health of Safety of the team on venue
- Attending to challenging issues and parties with the utmost professionalism and confidentiality, and understanding when to escalate an issue
- Being the key contact person for other associated departments
- Ensuring adherence on all levels to B2022’s Sport Presentation & Medal Ceremonies Operation Manual
- Managing and briefing all talent at venues
Key knowledge, Experience and Qualifications required
The Producer will have:
Experience in large scale live event/ TV/ theatre production
Strong creative skills and editorial judgement with a keen interest in sport
Ability to communicate effectively
Ability to operate in a dynamic working environment, handling multiple tasks
Excellent editorial judgment and legal awareness
Ability to take into account diverse nature of spectators (age, nationality, background)
Strong planning and organisational skills to manage projects and teams
Ability to work within a given budget
Ability to think ahead in order to establish appropriate course of action,
Knowledge of Health and Safety Guidelines
Thorough understanding of compliance rights and clearance/licensing procedures
Good understanding of technical set-up within a live event
Confident in making decision quickly and under pressure
Many of our colleagues come from a diverse group of backgrounds – including Live Events, Live Music, Theatre, Award Ceremonies, etc, therefore we encourage candidates with a wide range of experience and from a diverse set of backgrounds to apply for the role.
The Producer will be:
- A highly effective communicator
- A natural, inspiring, and confident team leader who is able to recognise their teams’ role within a broader operation
- Calm, clear, and concise
- Loyal and self-motivated
- Able to problem solve and multi-task under enormous deadline pressures
- Able to manage relationships and adopt an assertive approach where appropriate
- Adaptable to change
- Able to inspire a team of people to excel in their work
- Resilient and steadfast in order to sustain performance when under pressure from a high volume of work and conflicting priorities
- Enthusiastic about sport and the Commonwealth Games
- Understands and is committed to Progress’ Diversity and Inclusion strategy
July 2022 - August 2022
Terms of Appointment:
The appointment will be made under the Progress Productions standard Terms and Conditions. Prior to appointment the successful candidate is subject to a number of enquiries which will include a criminal record check and pre-employment screening. In the event of the successful candidate having a criminal record this would be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Diversity & Inclusion
We are committed to maintaining a culture of diversity and equity in our company. We work hard to be inclusive, with intentional strategies to welcome and uplift historically marginalised people within our field.
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
Progress Productions are a registered Disability Confident employer and as part of this commitment we operate a Guaranteed Interview Scheme for anyone with a disability who meets the minimum criteria for the post. To apply under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme simply complete the declaration form and include it with your application. The declaration form can be obtained on request to B2022jobs@progress.productions.
If you need it, we will try to provide access, equipment or other practical support to ensure that you can compete on equal terms with non-disabled people.
How to Apply
Please submit a CV and cover letter to B2022jobs@progress.productions
Each submission must also be accompanied by a short (no more than 500 word) personal statement on why Sport Presentation is integral to the successful delivery of a live major sporting event.
Closing date: 26th September 2021
Due to the volume of applicants expected we are unable to provide feedback on unsuccessful applications.
THIS OPPORTUNITY IT NOT OPEN TO AGENCIES